Thursday, April 23, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Quiche

As summer approaches, I like to move to more simple, lighter dinners. The less time I need to spend in the kitchen preparing dinner, the better! It allows me the opportunity to spend my time playing outside with the kids. My kids both love broccoli, so a simple quiche, paired with some fresh melon is a perfect light dinner for the family.

I generally will put my pie crust in the pan and add the broccoli and cheese in the morning before I go to work (or the night before) and place in the refrigerator. Then, when I come home, I can simply mix up the eggs and tuck it in the oven, while I head out to play.

Of course, there generally are some leftovers, which are great for a second meal - sometimes packed for my lunch, sometimes as leftovers the following evening.

Broccoli Cheese Quiche

1 10" pie crust
1 1/2 c chopped broccoli
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
4 eggs
1 1/2 c cream
1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
dash of nutmeg

Arrange broccoli and cheese in pastry lined pan. Beat together eggs, cream and spices in a bowl. Pour over cheese and broccoli. Place in preheated 375F oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and knife inserted 1" from edge comes out clean.

For more meatless entrees, check out this week's Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life As Mom.

For additional recipes, check out the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap. She has a recipe posted for Oreo Truffles, which sound nothing short of wonderful.

1 comments:

FishMama said...

Yum! I would love a slice of that right now. Thanks for sharing.