Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mango Blueberry Crisp

I am a big fan of fruit desserts. Some of my favorites included Apple Dumplings (with nice cold milk poured over top of the hot dumpling - yum!), Apple Crisp and Apple Pie with a crumble top, Peach Pie, Strawberry Pie, Strawberry Rhubarb cake or pie (Grandma made the best), and the list goes on. I'm not sure I've met many fruit desserts that I didn't like.

Now that I am older, I have had a lot more varieties of fruit than I did when I was a kid. I think it is part of the "shrinking" of the world and the ability to get fresh fruit year round that has created this opportunity for me. One of my new favorites is Mango. They have a unique and sweet flavor that I really enjoy.

At work, we celebrate birthdays and holidays with a Goodie Day. I always like to make something to bring in. A few times ago, I had forgotten but knew that I had some frozen fruit that I could use. I decided that I wanted to make something with some mango that I had on hand. I did a search for mango and found sweet breads and crisps. The idea of a mango crisp intrigued me, so I narrowed my search to Mango Crisp. I found a few variations - some with just mango, some with bananas, some with blueberries, some with peaches. I decided that I would make one with blueberries. I took my basic apple crisp recipe and amped it up with some added oats (the crisp portion of my apple crisp doesn't use oats, just flour and sugar) and some ginger and nutmeg for a more earthy contrast to the sweet mango.

Mango-Blueberry Crisp

Ingredients
3 c chopped mangoes
2 c blueberries
1/4 c flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg

Topping
1 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, chopped

Directions
Preheat oven to 350.

Combine blueberries and mango. Add the flour, sugar and spices and toss everything together. Place in a glass baking dish.

In a separate bowl, crumble together the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle over the mango-blueberry mixture.

Cook for 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!!

I used frozen fruit, but I'm guessing you could also do with fresh fruit. You might not need as much flour mixed with the fruit if you use fresh. You can adjust the nutmeg and ginger level to meet your family's taste.

For more fruit recipes, check out the Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life As Mom.

This recipe shared at The Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap.

0 comments: